General Assembly 2019-02-27
Agenda of the General Assembly
Date: Mercredi 27 février 2019, 19h30-21h30
Date: Wednesday, February 27 2019, 19.30-21.30
Lieu/Place: Route de Crochy 20, 1024 Ecublens
- 1 Composition
- 2 Items
- 2.1 Welcome address
- 2.2 Summary of the past year's activities
- 2.3 General updates
- 2.4 Approval of Financial Statement and Board Discharge
- 2.5 Election: Board
- 2.6 New members and onboarding
- 2.7 Update Projects
- 2.7.1 BeeMoS
- 2.7.2 Bioreactor
- 2.7.3 BioArt, biodesign, biomedia projects
- 2.7.4 Genomic Integrity projects
- 2.7.5 Living Instruments
- 2.7.6 MCBP
- 2.7.7 Spectrophotometer
- 2.7.8 Pea Plant Symbiosis
- 2.7.9 Congratulations to Gustavo for the Mushroom picker development
- 2.7.10 Espace Créateur Mural Project
- 2.7.11 ?? add yours
- 2.8 Upcoming Events and Planning
- 2.9 Closing remarks
- 3 Notes
- 4 Open Discussion
Note: Cette assemblée générale sera tenue principalement en français si la majorité des membres présents n'y voit pas d'inconvénient. Tout membre est libre de parler dans sa langue de prédilection, sachant que la majorité parle français et anglais. La documentation ci-dessous est en anglais pour permettre aux participants qui ne parleraient pas le français de prendre connaissance des sujet. Si vous ne parlez pas l'anglais, n'hésitez-pas à demander une traduction au comité de l'association. Nous nous efforceront de répondre aux requêtes, dans la mesure de nos moyens.
Notice: This General Assembly will be mostly held in French, as long as the majority of members feels comfortable with it. If you do not speak any French, the following document contains all points of the agenda. If you have any question, please contact the committee.
- Tobias M (Aarau)
- Luc Patiny
- Vithoo *
- Jennifer *
- Vanessa (10min late)
- Joël (even later)
- * non voting
- Yann Heurtaux (migraine)
(Rachel, 2 min)
Summary of the past year's activities
(Rachel, 15 min)
Lots of fun, including crowdfunding perks being sent, and workshops (Spectro/BeeMoS/Micronuclei etc) given, many experiments, and then --- moving lab!!
for some background on how this developed, please see these notes.
The lab farewell party was held 31oct18 in Mass Challenge, with costumes, pumpkin soup and molecular sorbet. For the pea project, the data summary made it seem worth to try this urbain garden test again, next spring. Big equipment was kept in containers by the pro moving company Harsch, until its installation 1feb, in Ecublens. (RA à parler de tout ça et presenter l'Espace Créateur aussi l'avenir)
Hackuarium is in the 'Espace Créateur' of a new cooperative
With friends from Octanis, another association, Polymeka, and a few startups and entrepreneurs, we plan to facilitate innovation in the best way!
By forming the Space Alliance Cooperative, Hackuarium can keep its non-profit values, and the coop can ask for reasonable rent...
Here is the flyer we provided for the people of Ecublens' 'urbain development' team, who told to get in touch with their 'culture' group. As this space is just provisional, in fact destined for destruction in the next 3-5 years, having support of the commune would be very reassuring - especially if they could help us get a new space for the future move... (dossier en course, as they say! :)
--> Four members of Hackuarium (and Octanis) are also founding members of the new coop, Raffael, Olivier, LucP and Rachel. RA et Olivier a expliqué tout ça et voici ou nous sommes...
Needed Changes to the Hackuarium Statutes and more important questions to be voted upon before discharging the current board
Article 3 of the Statutes: currently says our 'siège' is at 5 Chemin du Closel, Renens.
- Who agrees that we should modify this article, to put our current address, Route de Crochy 20, Ecublens?
accepté à la unanimité (17 votes total)
Article 5 of the Statutes: currently says we will work in good faith with UniverCité and CACIB.
- Who agrees that we should change this to say we will work in good faith with the Space Alliance Cooperative?
aussi accepté à la unanimité
- Do we agree to allow the founding coop members to determine how best to support all interests, and continue to set conditions in the new site (i.e. for space/services/workshops/co-working)?
beaucoup d'en parler... mandate liberty responsibility 11 for & 6 against un peu de psychological soutien pour les gens impliqués (comme Joël à marqué pour nous)
- Do we want Hackuarium to also become an official member of the Space Alliance Cooperative? (This would require 300chf 'share' price, but provide the opportunity also to share in many benefits)
(vote) accepté à la unanimité
- As we have to pay rent now, do we think it is ok to increase membership fees, from 20chf to 25chf, per month? see nb.
(vote) beaucoup de debate pour pros et cons... 5 pour, 6 contre et 6 abstentions The 20chf per month will continue... on reste avec le 20chf abonnement par mois.
nb. & idea that Those who have paid their fees for the year 2019 before this General Assembly meeting, can stay at the old level, but for all others, this would go into effect immediately.
But, the vote was against, so this idea is null and void...
maybe next time - close vote - let's see!
Masoud à montré les comptes avant ce votation aussi...
on restera avec le 20chf/mois
Approval of Financial Statement and Board Discharge
(Masoud, 10 min)
Solde du compte (31.12.2017) 33468.16
Cotisations 2018 5230
Projets 2018 7567
Total In 46265.16
Dépenses projets 13145
solde maintenant 16'389.92 (+6k pour deposit pour le loyer d'espace)
Matériel et consommables 4195.04
Frais divers 215.3
Frais bancaires 46.2
Total Out 23012.39
Exercice 2018 23252.07
Anne-Laure n'a pas vu le mot (de aujourd'hui) avec le lien pour les comptes etc.
Tous ont accepté es comptes, mais sous réserve de son accord comme vérificatrice des comptes.
(avec Yann Heurteux)
The composition of the board since the last general assembly (February 2018) was as follows:
- Président (also Biosecurity officer): Rachel Aronoff
- Secretary and Treasurer: Luc Henry (through July 2018)
- Lab Manager: Gustavo Santa Maria
- Responsable communication (also Deputy Biosecurity officer and 'shadow secretary'): Olivier Emery
- System Administrator: Sam Sulaimanov
- Responsable Art et Design: Vanessa Lorenzo
- 'Shadow Treasurer': Masoud Alipour (to take over when Luc leaves board)
- Evangéliste - Daniel Hernandez
- Talent scout and evangelist for Academy: Anne-Laure Pittet
- Talent scout and evangelist for Entrepreneurs: Gianpaolo Rando
- Anne-Laure and Eric were chosen as accounts verifiers.
('shadow' positions took over officially in August 2018)
Eric quit Hackuarium before the summer of 2018, and also, Sam and Gustavo resigned from the board in Fall 2018.
(Rachel, 15 min)
All board member positions are up for election.
Veuillez contacter l’un des membres actuels du comité si vous souhaitez être candidat. Vous êtes les bienvenus !!
Please contact any of the current board members, if you would like to be a candidate. You are very welcome !!
The roles of committee members are described in this wiki page.
Masoud (comme trésorier)
Yann Heurtaux (comme IT)
All elected by 17 votes...
Will decide exact Roles at next meeting of board
Manon also said she will make sure for newsletter soon! (and esp something for 16mars to give out in collab with Vanessa. Also to get Luc Henry to order new batch of stickers to be made in time for the 'Ramène ta Science' event at Palais de Rumine.
New members and onboarding
- How to join?
- write to email@example.com
- read this page about joining
- fill in form from website
- pay monthly fee (20 CHF per month)
- ask for a card
- New members?
Anyone willing to join now? Go talk to Rachel !
Any project that wishes to present an update should do so at this point. (opportunity for team formation, too)
(It was too late, and the meeting was adjourned! Vithoo and Jennifer were disappointed!)
(Olivier, 5 min)
(LucP, 5 min)
BioArt, biodesign, biomedia projects
(Vanessa, 5 min)
- The South African - Swiss Water Project. A week-long happening in Bellevaux - Ecublens, August 2019. Financing possible sources: ProHelvetia Joburg, Mini-grant Hackuarium, more? Spots, petit flon / lake. Participants: Cape Town, Johannesburg, Fribourg, Lausanne, Slovenia, Ljubljana.
- The DIY gut-brain project
- Rack, equiped for Art&Design Collisions.
- A pint of science
Genomic Integrity projects
(Rachel, 5 min)
Three interns from the EPFL joined the lab for 8 weeks last summer, working toward prototypes of a 'cheek cell chip' (and a journalist in China already asked 'where can they be bought!')!
Hopes to make an epifluorescence build of the OpenFlexure scope in the coming months (for comet assays, and more).
Some testate amoeba from an Australian moss menagerie were taken to the lab in Neuchâtel, which specialises in them!
(Vanessa - LucH can't attend)
(Roger?) a manuscript draft will finally be submitted to a citizen science journal!
(LucP, 5 min)
Pea Plant Symbiosis
Last year's attempt was positive, and another trial should be initiated, was the consensus at our farewell party discussion last fall.
Who wants to join in for a real spring trial with the symbiotic bacteria that fixes nitrogen for pea plants? Is this a good strategy for urban gardeners? might it help Hackuarium become sustainable in the long run?
Congratulations to Gustavo for the Mushroom picker development
from innovative robotics to a collaboration with real producers! (worth a champagne moment?!)
Espace Créateur Mural Project
who is interested to start and/or contribute to this?
- artistic inspiration
- commune approval
- paint/brushes/ladder/tape (grid for enlarging original design
?? add yours
Upcoming Events and Planning
- 'Ramène ta Science' at the Palais de Rumine, 16mars - Living Instruments and oFoldscope workshops
- Alienated Landscapes event and workshop, Hackuarium - Ateliers Bellevaux, mai 2019.
- 500Foods Event(s) - What's in your Food? With EPFL and SwissDeCode! tbd
- Powercoder Event! - help refugees acquire useful skills! Magaly and colleagues will present soon at a #OH, we hope!
- International Biohacker Meetup Event - September 2019?? (including Guy Aidelberg, Fran Quero, Nieves Cuba Mateo, Hackteria friends, and many others...) What kind of event we can propose (scale/budget?) and make sure to keep from overlapping with others' (esp Boston one in October)! ?s of sponsors? crowdfunding, for real budget? invitations - how much can we support this??
Rachel (2 min) President 2019 potentielle...
Les plus actifs les membres peuvent devenir, le meilleur pour nous tous!
Nous sommes impatients de co-créer ce nouvel espace ensemble!
Je vous remercie!
The more active members can be, the better for us all!
We look forward to co-creating this new space together!
End of the formal part of the General Assembly.
no secretary assigned, RA with notes in little notebook.
arrangements also with commune for space possible...