Artists and designers pushing forward scientific research into the unknown. Open artistic projects in bio art, speculative design and bio design and searches to build bridges between scientists and artists as well as collaborations within and outside Hackuarium. Seeks to encourage artists, scientific, engineers and/or creators to maintain a dialogue with the public about bio-technological advances, artificial systems and possible futures through discussions, events and ongoing practical projects.
Darty Monkeys is a series of conferences and virtual hangouts within Hackuarium to place discussions and keep informed about ongoing residencies. Is an Initiative to develop projects at the boundary between science, art and design outside of dogma to create unorthodox prototypes inscribing the alienation of the rhythms of everyday life. International artists/creators will be invited to take part in the hackerspace - laboratory during a residency. Our first visitors: (see *kick off 25.08.2015)
This initiative provides a time and space for increasing the odds of achieving desirable futures and issuing the perpetuation of hierarchic dualism related to eugenics, sex and ethnic origin. It initiates conversations and promotes projects about ethical, ecological, socio-politico-economic and cultural issues and discusses the impact that the latest developments have on have on society: GMO, source cells, post-human, cognitive sciences, etc.
Artists have a very important role, to advance research into unknown areas. They put under the microscope practices such as human tissue culture, genetic manipulation, image processing, machine learning, ownership of material life, the human body. They also provide a bridge between the public and the research laboratories shedding light on the silent revolution of the biotechnology.
Its first project since its creation is Living Instruments, a collaboration between Hackuarium and WE Spoke to create different living instruments in order to make a live performance. The musician will make his first residence in September 19 - 23. Performance in Early 2016 in "le Bourg" Lausanne. Workshop & Perfo LIFT Conference Feb 2016. (Luc Henry, Serge Vuille and Vanessa Lorenzo).
- To debate about bio-technological advances, artificial systems and possible futures.
- To provides a time and space for creators.
- To place this project in the context of the current state of DIY, science and art.
This initiative has the following objectives:
- To build artistic and critical minded community
- To engage artists in scientific research and viceversa
- To create a piece of art or a prototype
Who is involved?
- Jonathan Sobel (collaborator)
- Sachiko Hiroshue (collaborator)
- Luc Henry (collaborator)
- Yann Heurtaux (collaborator)
- Vanessa Lorenzo (initiator)
with participation from the hackteria network
KickOff: 23.09.15 at link #OpenHackuarium #64 Special Darty monkeys
Next event: 09/10.01.16
Virtual roundtable 09/10.01.16
Virtual hangouts to shape near future (bio) technology within global biohacker community during 24 hours. Goals: get to know each other, boost possible collaborations and discuss about to include art and design to shape science. How can art and design shape the future of science and biotechnology?
Topic: body boundaries
How: Hangouts by Skype http://www.skype.com/en/features/group-video-chat/
When: Weekend 09-10 January 2016
Where: At your closest hackerspace kitchen.
A monthly date with Darty Monkeys will be provided to debate and imagine new approaches to art and science in the near futures.
International artists will be invited to take part in the hackerspace during a residency.
A Hackathon 2016. More info soon!
Kick off Th 25.08.15
Serge Vuille a London based artist director of We Spoke presenting Living Instruments
Vytautas Jankauskas Geneva based media artist at Montague presenting "Vernis Magnes" and "HOW TO BUILD A DIY WATER TANK"
Marika Magnuszewska Polish media artist based in Switzerland presenting "Drunk Books" and her next residency.
Jonatan Sobel Lausanne based scientist and microphotographer working with "Fractals" and its visualization.
Vanessa Lorenzo Lausanne based media artist at Hybridoa
- All categories included at the edge between arts and sciences are welcome here, some examples: critical design, bio design, genetic art, moist art, artificial life (artificial systems and artificial intelligence), data visualizations, etc…
- Some conditions to be provided:
- Psychological room or peaceful space. Not possible, a place to “work”, optional solution: Use (to book) the bubble room right after the benches and secretary desk, soon will have an isolating roof and eventually a little hut in the green area (which has to be designed and built).
- Be aware of limitations of the lab & artist: learning process, security (low exigence, as we don’t have any dangerous materials) & propose external collaborations.
- Tutor: Launch Darty Monkeys office hours for active collaborations, responsability/engagement level to be determined by both artists and collaborator.
- Access to biological materials. Sadly, some ingredients or biological materials are impossible to get or produce in the lab. Fortunately, there are ways to "get" them via “donators” or external collaborations with official labs.
- Wiki list with potential “donators” labs (unil, unige, epfl…) possible to arrange something collaborations with our coworkers,
- Not to be publicized immediately. Not a popular point but as we are in a open minded space but open doesn't mean overexposed: If you never worked in an open source project, learn the basics to licensing, know the tips to share, name, add contributions and publicized when you're comfortable with.
- Engage potential collaborators / scientists.
- Make community of artists, welcoming & understanding atmosphere for creative minds not experimented in Biotechnology or sciences. Already a nice atmosphere here but to be aware that some people get impressed by the level of high expertise of some of the members. We should always make clear that is a totally inclusive space: Artists and scientists in the same level and totally welcome. We should always have in mind the word "dismitify" and push forward towards the unknown.
- Manage external collaborations (in term of signing publications, funding, store art piece, exhibitions and some conditions of exclusivity or possible reserves in terms of information).
- Ethics: Everything is possible, also the controversial but has to be according to the law in terms of laboratory security levels, our ethical chart, and the criteria of the community.
- not enterprise – oriented and critical mind.
- Periodicity. Events / Discussions once a month starting 23nd September.
- Format: To be defined for each event: Presentation, brainstorm sessions, hackathon, field data gathering / field research.
- For the next editions? introduction to the new thematic, presentation of a related project and discussion (invite experts, philosophers, science, artist).