Welcome to the page with information about the Hackuarium Biolab Space in Ecublens!
Hackuarium has two rooms in the context of the new cooperative, the Biolab with windows, and the so-called 'inner sanctum' without windows.
The latter can be used for some biology work, especially higher resolution microscopy (with Raspberry Pi camera on the old Zeiss scope) and bioluminescence studies, but no growth of cultures is allowed there. (there is a carpet!)
Getting the Hackuarium community together for some real biological experimentation is an evolving endeavor.
In Renens the official 'P1 laboratory' ran for only about a year, and more information on that can be found in various parts of this wiki, but starting from here for historical perspective is a good option.
Rachel Aronoff and Olivier Emery are continuing their roles as biosafety officers in the new space.
If you need to contact them in particular about any proposed activities or projects in the biolab, please use this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn, have fun, and avoid problems!
Here is the link to all the Biosafety info, list of users and list of strains to date for future reference.
We have to note that at least some strains did not survive the moving process, even though dry ice was used to move tubes from one -20 to another... :(
However, we had a surprise in being able to revive some bioluminescent bacteria (which turned out to be Photobacterium phosphorum!) after many months in an eppendorf tube in the frig!!
Timeline for Project Initiation
1) Talk with everyone about your ideas and what you would like to do. Public presentations during Wednesday #OpenHackuarium events are recommended!
2) Take the safety course and do risk assessment on your idea.
3) Start documenting your idea in the wiki. You can use this template developed by YannP as a guide.
4) If we really get the ok to do P1 experiments, go ahead and fill in the form, also developed by YannP!
5) Get going! (ask for a minigrant, if necessary for obtaining reagents or other materials.)
- Do you have questions? Maybe you can't reach Rachel or Olivier, or want to find out more before even trying to ask them?? There is a service in the DIYBio community for this Ask a Biosafety Professional! Use it!
Remember, being clueless is no excuse!!
- The SOPs for appropriate use of the new space are being developed, and build upon what was previously recommended!
Watch this space for more soon!