Difference between revisions of "Biolab"
|Line 46:||Line 46:|
Watch this space for more
Watch this space for more ! <br>
Revision as of 11:38, 22 May 2019
Welcome to the page with information about the Hackuarium Biolab Space in Ecublens!
Hackuarium has two rooms in the context of the new cooperative, the Biolab with windows, and the so-called 'inner sanctum' without windows. The latter can be used for some biology work, especially higher resolution microscopy (with Raspberry Pi camera on the old Zeiss scope) and bioluminescence studies, but no growth of cultures is allowed there. (there is a carpet!)
The biolab is located in a south facing room of over 22m2, with three windows and a linoleum floor.
It must be stressed that this is a provisional space, with the building already destined for destruction in the next 3-5 years (or so they say!).
Thus, we still need to find someplace more sustainable, and any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated!
Getting the Hackuarium community together for some real biological experimentation is an evolving endeavor.
In Renens the official 'P1 laboratory' ran for only about a year, and more information on that can be found in various parts of this wiki, but starting from here for historical perspective is a good option.
Rachel Aronoff and Olivier Emery are continuing their roles as biosafety officers in the new space.
If you need to contact them in particular about any proposed activities or projects in the biolab, please use this email address: email@example.com
To learn, have fun, and avoid problems!
Here is the link to all the Biosafety info, list of users and list of strains to date for future reference.
We have to note that at least some strains did not survive the moving process, even though dry ice was used to move tubes from one -20 to another... :(
However, we had a surprise in being able to revive some bioluminescent bacteria (which turned out to be Photobacterium phosphorum!) after many months in an eppendorf tube in the frig!!
Timeline for Project Initiation
1) Talk with everyone about your ideas and what you would like to do. Public presentations during Wednesday #OpenHackuarium events are recommended!
2) Take the safety course and do risk assessment on your idea.
12 people have already taken the "Introduction to biosafety" training for the new space.
More training sessions can be organised upon request.
3) Start documenting your idea in the wiki. You can use this template developed by YannP as a guide.
4) If we really get the ok to do P1 experiments, go ahead and fill in the form, also developed by YannP!
5) Get a project box, and get going! (ask for a minigrant, if necessary for obtaining reagents or other materials.)
- The lab layout will be included here soon! (map image)
- All projects will have a box for their special equipment and stocks.
- Always tidy things away after manipulations are complete, and if anything needs to stay out, or in incubators, remember to always leave signed and dated notes!
- Do you have questions?
Maybe you can't reach Rachel or Olivier, or want to find out more before even trying to ask them??
There is a service in the DIYBio community for this Ask a Biosafety Professional! Use it!
- Remember, being clueless is no excuse!!
- The SOPs for appropriate use of the new space are being developed, and build upon what was previously decided.
Watch this space for more information!
Translation help needed! :)
- upper left: a moment during a micronuclei workshop (18may19)
- upper right: Bioluminescence of Photobacterium phosphorum 8s exposure with SLR camera
- lower left: Bioluminescence of Photobacterium phosphorum quick pic in 'inner sanctum' with iPhone SE
- lower right Bioluminescence of Dinoflagellates Pyrocystis fusiformis